Sunday, June 13, 2010

Moab, Day 2

As promised, here are my favorite shots from yesterday.  It was such a great day, and we had so much fun!  I'll post the night shots separately because they are my favorite, and because I want to dedicate a little bit of time to that post.  This one is rushed because it's almost 2 hours past my bedtime.

The girls' car

The hail storm.

This is a great story that deserves a better telling than this, but there you go.  We drove to the last stop on the arches drive to try to outrun the storm that was bearing down on us.  We thought we were home free (I don't know why), but when we got out of the cars to start our hike the rain started to come down.  At first it was a light trickle, so we did a quick powow and decided to wait out the storm in our cars.  

Then came the lightning (Picture 1 is me trying to capture it, but to no avail.)

Then came down-poor (Picture 2)

Then came the hail (Picture 3)

Then it went back to sprinkling...

Our car decided to ditch after that, while the guys in the other car stuck around until they could hike a little.

A pit stop in the rain.

After we bailed on the guys, we were driving back to town when we saw this cool rock formation that we wanted to check out.  It was still raining, but Christine and I decided to brave the cold and head out anyway.  It was only 15 minutes or so, but I was drenched (poncho and all) and grinning by the time we got back to the car.

JUST after the storm.

Still on our way back to town, and we stopped yet again to take some pictures of the scenery.  We may not have gotten a hike in, but we still had a chance to see a bit of the sights.

Fun day!!

2 comments:

  1. UhMazzing!!!! Wow Val, these are just so kool! I love that you got the rock formation will all the different weather! Except...the nose problem has come back. Yuck! Worst picture of me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I love the sequence of events with the rocks! You are a talented photographer, Val.

    ReplyDelete